M.S.E. RETAINING WALLS
Mechanically Stabilized Earth Walls (M.S.E.) are reinforced gabion walls constructed using multiple courses of DURA-WELD™ or DURA-FLEX™ Gabion baskets integrated with flat steel wire mesh panels or GEO-GRID geosynthetic layers placed horizontally between the layers of gabions to lock into a slope with compacted backfill on top.
Gabion Supply offers materials for various types of Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) and Reinforced Steep Slope (RSS) Systems. These solutions provide our clients with an array of aesthetics and facing options, allowing for the most cost-effective use of land while achieving maximum architectural and environmental value. We offer economical alternatives to traditional building materials that incorporate high-performance geo-synthetic products and High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) soil reinforcement systems.
BUILDING AN M.S.E. RETAINING WALL
MSE gabion walls afford important advantages:
- Permeability of the front face and drainage of the backfill
- Flexibility: enabling the structure to tolerate differential ground settlement without compromising structural integrity
- Versatility: allows the formation of a structure with vertical, battered or stepped front face as required and minimized environmental impact
- Durability: testimonials of existing gabion structures built since 1894 and still in operation prove that MSE structures can be safely designed for 120 years design life
- Economy: construction does not require specialized labor or equipment
- Filling: gabions are filled with natural or quarried stones obtained locally with minimum foundation preparation
- Structural safety in the event of fire near the front face
- Reduction of environmental impact through the use of vegetation planted into the front face of the structure